Gwinnett Tech's Medical Assisting program provides interactive, hands-on experience and led by Certified Medical Assistants (CMA). Our Medical Assisting diploma prepares students for employment in physician offices, clinics, surgical centers and urgent care centers.
The goal of our Medical Assisting program is to prepare future medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behaviors) domain. Coursework includes: structure, function and diseases of the human body, medical terminology, medical law and ethics, pharmacology, medical assisting procedures (both administrative and clinical) and a practicum (externship) in medical assisting.
Physicians count on medical assistants to:
- Greet and process incoming and outgoing patients
- Prepare and assist the physician during an exam
- Perform routine clinical tasks such as collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Take patient histories and chief complaint
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Measure vital signs & height and weight
- Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services