Thank you for choosing Gwinnett Technical College to further your education! We are proud to be ranked the #1 Community and Technical College in the state of Georgia by WalletHub.
Our office is committed to helping you finance your education in a timely manner. We understand that the process can be daunting, but our staff is here to assist you in any way that we can.
You must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year to be considered for federal or state aid. Always include the school code (016139) on the FAFSA, and if possible, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to reduce errors on your application. Visit www.FAFSA.gov and apply today!
Watch the video below for information about the FAFSA and additional resources.
- Submit the FAFSA
- Complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA for the Spring and Summer 2017 semesters
- Complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA for the Fall 2017 semester and beyond
- Check Your Email
- Check the email address you used on the FAFSA 3-5 business days after you submit your application. We will send a notification that lists additional requirements, and how to obtain them on your Student Banner Account. For assistance with Student Banner navigation, click the FAQ’s and How-To’s link on the left panel.
- Submit the Requested Documents
- You must be accepted into a Financial Aid eligible program of study before we review your file and award funds. The Financial Aid process can be lengthy; it can take 3-5 weeks to review your eligibility. Please submit the requested documents as soon as possible.
- Check Your Student Banner Account
- Updates to your Financial Aid file can happen at any time. Review your Student Banner Account periodically for updates and award offers.
- Accept Your Awards
- Once you are accepted into a Financial Aid eligible program and your documents have been reviewed, we will send an award letter email to your GwinnettTech.edu account.
- Review Financial Aid Authorizations
- The Financial Aid Office will authorize your aid based on your enrollment status. Funds are disbursed to the Account Summary by Term in Banner after the semester begins. If your “Authorized Aid” balance is greater than the “Account Balance,” or tuition and fees owed to the college, then you do not have to take further action. Please click on the FAQ’s and How-To’s link on the left panel for more information.
Spring Term C Priority File Completion Deadline: January 26
Spring Term C Tuition/Fee Payment Deadline: February 28 (5:30 p.m. in person or 11:50 p.m. online)
Students should complete their FAFSA, using our 016139 school code, as soon as possible.
FAFSAs and requested documents should be submitted to Gwinnett Tech by the Priority File Completion date. This gives the Financial Aid Office enough time to process and award aid within 3-5 weeks before the tuition/fee payment deadline.
If your file is not complete by the priority deadline, you should consider paying for your educational costs using the NelNet Payment Plan. Click “Payment Plans ” on the left panel for more information. Please note: NelNet is NOT available for the C Term.
If you have not been awarded Financial Aid or agreed to a NelNet plan by the Tuition/Fee Payment Deadline, your courses will be dropped.
Federal and State Grants are automatically accepted on your behalf in your Student Banner Account. Grants are awarded based on your enrollment status each semester. Loans must be accepted on your Student Banner Account, and require additional actions. Please click Federal Funds and State Funds on the left panel for more information.
Financial Aid funds are initially awarded for Fall and Spring semesters only. If you are interested in taking Summer courses and would like to use your remaining aid, please submit the Summer survey. The survey will be available on your Student Banner Account in the early Spring. Please note: if you receive loan disbursements in the Fall and Spring semesters, you may not have loan funds available for the Summer. Please budget accordingly.
Students who have excess Financial Aid funds after their educational costs are covered, can use a portion of the aid in the bookstore. You have up to $600 in Pell and up to $600 in loan funds to use in the Bookstore.
Authorizations begin approximately one week before the semester begins, and ends one week after classes start. Bookstore Authorizations are not available for Term C; if you have registered for a Term C course, you should purchase your books and supplies during the two-week authorization period.
Spring Term C Refunds Begin: Thursday, March 23, 2017
Students who have excess Financial Aid funds also may be eligible for a refund.
Financial Aid refunds are processed through the Business Office. For questions regarding refund amounts and disbursement dates, please contact the Business Office directly at 678.226.6700, GTC-BusinessOffice@GwinnettTech.edu, or in-person at the Lawrenceville and Alpharetta-North Fulton campuses.
You can also check refund and disbursements amounts on your Student Banner Account. For more information, click the FAQ’s and How-To’s link on the left panel, or contact the Business Office directly.