At Gwinnett Technical College, students consistently identify their internship experiences as being some of the most influential and meaningful components of their college education.
Why do an internship?
- Get career training outside of the classroom
- Learn company culture and department dynamics
- Apply classroom theory and knowledge
- Advance your skillset and enlarge your employer network
- Build your resume
- Gain valuable exposure in your field
- Learn new aspects and opportunities related to your field
Applying for an internship?
- Get your resume and cover letter (if applicable) evaluated by the Gwinnett Tech Career Services office
- Ensure you are available for the entire length of the internship and apply for the position if you meet the qualifications and requirements
- If granted an interview, prepare for it by practicing your interviewing skills. Always wear professional attire and arrive 15 minutes early. After it is complete, send professional thank you email(s).
Preparing for a Successful Internship
- Always be on time. Communication is essential. Notify your supervisor in advance, if you are going to be late or if you need to miss a day. Build your reputation as someone who is reliable and always on time. Why miss out on a great career path because you not consistent with being on time?
- Wear appropriate attire in accordance with the business and industry standards of your site
- Separate your personal life from your internship life. Be as professional as possible by always be being polite, respectful and having a positive outlook about the opportunity. Apply your Gwinnett Tech work ethic standards to your role.
- Learn new things, take initiative and when applicable ask questions.
- Keep your faculty sponsor informed about your activities.
- If an issue or concern arises, discuss it quickly with your internship supervisor so that it can be resolved. If you need help, do not hesitate to consult with the Director of Career Experiences.
- Communicate with the internship office about any unexpected changes to your internship.
Fall, Spring and Summer Internships
Although many students may feel that summer semester is the only time of year an internship is available, nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, it may be true that the summer semester is a busy time for internships, but the truth is that employers in all different sizes of companies are looking for interns year round. Keep in mind that the earlier you start the process the better your chances are at finding the right internship opportunity.
Thank you for embracing the Gwinnett Tech mission of workforce development. Working with Gwinnett Tech to develop internships through our Launch Pointe program will help your company build upon its success. Most companies who participate grow their internship program year after year and have found that having an internship program is a significant cost savings when it comes time to hire full time employees. You will have a pipeline of students already exposed to your corporate culture and how your business operates. You will have a pipeline of students already exposed to how your business operates who can be considered for employment opportunities. This allows for a seamless flow of onboarding and professional development, which typically leads to employee loyalty, and efficiency of work product. For your internship to be successful, we ask that you provide a challenging and substantive environment that is related to the students program of study with a direct point of contact who will supervise and evaluate the student. The College works with all sizes of employers, from Fortune 1000 companies, to international or national conglomerates to non-profits, local businesses and smaller family run businesses.
Some internships are for academic credit where part of the employer evaluation accounts for a portion of the students overall grade. Non-academically evaluated internships are taken very seriously and students who are selected to participate in the internship have to go through a competitive process.
To post an internship, create a free account and add a job posting in our Career Link Employers Portal and a member of our team will be in touch with you. Please keep in mind classes are in session according to the following semesters:
Fall: mid August to mid December
Spring: early January to early May
Summer: mid May to mid July