How can I take online classes?
First, you must be admitted to Gwinnett Technical College and then you can register for online classes. Here's more information on how to apply to Gwinnett Tech.
Every student registered for an online class will be issued a secure user login and password for identity verification. Online classes are located in Blackboard which is the college's learning management system. Go to Blackboard for login information. The privacy of students enrolled in online courses is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). See page 27 in the course catalog.
Some online courses may require an on-campus proctored midterm or final exam. Gwinnett Technical College does not assess any additional student charges associated with verification of student identity. It is the student's responsibility to make arrangements with the instructor and/or Program Director if issues arise with meeting this on-campus requirement. Such an arrangement must be approved by the Division Dean. The student is also responsible for any additional charges assessed as a result of off-campus proctoring at locations that do not provide it free of charge.
Students must fill out a Request for a Transient Letter form (available at the Registrar's Office) to determine eligibility to attend another institution as a transient student. The course must be required for your program. Learning Support courses are not eligible courses.
Students must meet the following requirements:
- You must be currently enrolled
- You must be accepted into a program of study (General Studies students are not eligible)
- You must be in Good Academic Standing at GTC
- You must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- You must have no "holds" on your account
- You must meet any prerequisite or test score requirements
Visit GVTC for a complete list of available courses!
You need a computer at home, or wherever you plan to do your course work, and reliable connection to the Internet.
- Computer Requirements – Students will need regular access to a computer or laptop at home, or wherever you plan to do your course work. You also need a fast and reliable connection to the internet. Using a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet will not work. Blackboard does not function fully on a mobile device.
- Internet Access – 56K Dial-Up connection or better. DSL or Cable recommended.
- Supported Browsers – It's highly recommended that students use Firefox or Chrome. These browsers are more compatible with Blackboard. Using other browsers may cause issues with tests, assignments, or other functions within Blackboard. Click to learn more about supported browsers.
Students are required to take at least 40 percent of their course work from Gwinnett Tech. This includes courses both on campus and online Gwinnett Tech courses.