To provide a high quality early learning environment for children and a model training facility for students at Gwinnett Technical College.
The goals of the D. Scott Hudgens, Jr. Early Education Center are:
- To provide a developmentally appropriate environment for all young children.
- To encourage children in positive social and emotional interactions within the group setting.
- To offer children an educational environment that stimulates and supports individual and group learning.
- To promote independence and a positive self-concept in children.
- To provide a safe and nurturing environment to encourage children to become risk takers in their learning process.
- To partner with parents/caregivers to provide the best possible care and education for all children.
The Center's Philosophy
Everything done at the D. Scott Hudgens, Jr. Early Education Center is based on the philosophy that children construct and order their knowledge and learning through interactions with caring people.
Each day the Center provides children with opportunities to:
- enhance their intellectual and problem-solving abilities,
- strengthen their emotional health,
- develop socially in their abilities to relate with other children and adults,
- express themselves creatively,
- increase their physical skills.
A Warm and Secure Environment
The facility is designed to provide developmentally appropriate opportunities for children to learn in a warm and secure environment that fosters the development of the whole child. Every aspect of the program, from mealtime to guidance, to classroom activities, is designed to contribute to the children's learning and development. Developing a positive self-concept fosters success in life, and this is enhanced when each child is cared for in a nurturing environment that meets his or her physical, social, emotional and cognitive needs.
Children are provided with a variety of materials and activities to use in exploring, constructing and organizing the world around them. The program offers a balance of free choice and guided activities, as well as individual and group activities. Teachers help children when making choices and in understanding that choices have natural consequences. This becomes a foundation for success in school and life.
Learning Through Play
The Hudgens Center is a place where children can learn while they play and share experiences with other children. The environment is designed to enable children to develop close relationships with members in their primary rooms, while providing opportunities to expand social skills as they interact with members from other classroooms in the sensory or "messy" room and with an even larger groups on projects in the piazza. This configuration reflects society's social structures of family, neighborhood and community.