May 17, 2017 6:00 p. m.
Spring 2017 GED® Commencement!
Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 6 p.m.
The Busbee Center, Gwinnett Technical College
5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Ready to graduate with your hard-earned GED? Congratulations! Here is some information you will need to know as you plan to graduate:
Register for Graduation
Our GED® Graduation Ceremony is for students who completed their GED® between October 1, 2016 and April 7, 2017. During the ceremony, each student is presented with a Certificate of Recognition for successfully completing the GED® tests. You will receive your official award from the Georgia GED® Testing Program.
If you would like to participate in the ceremony, please complete the online response form by Friday, April 21, 2017.
Your Cap and Gown
Your cap and gown are provided to you free of charge!
You DO NOT need to purchase these from an outside vendor. Be sure to indicate your height in the space provided on the online response form. Your correct height is needed to ensure that your gown is the correct length.
You may pick up your cap and gown at the REQUIRED rehearsal on Monday, May 15, 2017, at 6 p.m. in the Cisco Auditorium. If you do not attend the rehearsal on Monday, you may not participate in the ceremony on Wednesday, May 17.
If you are interested in being the student speaker at graduation, you may participate in a speech competition by submitting a five- to ten-minute speech sharing your personal journey in achieving your GED®. Submit your speech by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your name, e-mail address, and phone number.
The deadline to submit your speech is Friday, April 28, 2017. If you are the selected winner, you will represent your graduating class by presenting your speech at the graduation ceremony!
Attend the Mandatory Practice
On Monday, May 15, 2017, at 6 p.m, you are required to attend a mandatory graduation ceremony practice at The Busbee center (Bldg.700) on Gwinnett Tech’s Lawrenceville campus. The rehearsal will familiarize you with your seating arrangement, marching order, and all details for the ceremony, including what to wear. Please arrive between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. to allow for check-in time. Remember:
• To walk in the ceremony, you must attend practice.
• Children are not allowed at practice, so please, plan ahead.
• Casual dress is fine for practice.
Arrival and Parking
For Graduation, students should plan to arrive at The Busbee Center no later than 5:00 p.m. You need to arrive early to avoid traffic and to be on time for the lineup and preparation for the march. If you arrive after 5:45 p.m., you will not be able to march with your program classmates. When you enter the building, you will be directed to the designated area to line up with your classmates.
What to Wear
Men: Wear black or dark navy blue slacks, a white collared shirt (tie is optional), and black shoes.
Women: Wear a dark-colored dress or dark slacks or skirt with a white collared or non-collared shirt and dark shoes. Try to avoid wearing a dress or skirt that is longer than the commencement gown.
• NO tennis shoes, sneakers, flip flops, any backless shoe or anything extremely high, you will be going up and down stairs.
• Absolutely no shorts are allowed. If you arrive in shorts, you will not be allowed to march.
Who Can Attend: Student Guests
• There is limited seating for guests, so we ask that you limit guests to two. Once the auditorium is full, guests will be directed to an overflow area where the ceremony will be broadcast live. This directive is from the Gwinnett County Fire Marshall.
• Please inform your guests that the ceremony begins promptly at 6 p.m. While free parking is available, there is a limited number of designated handicap parking spaces. To arrange for any guests who need wheelchair access or special seating due to limited mobility, Vivolyn Ferguson at 678-226-6434 email@example.com.
• Children in attendance must be accompanied by a responsible adult and remain seated and quiet during the ceremony. Due to fire codes, strollers are not permitted inside the seating area.
Click here to visit our GED graduation website for additional information.