Honors and Awards
Gwinnett Tech offers a host of programs and opportunities to reward the hard work and outstanding contributions of our students, from individual designations to honor societies and more.
- Adler Instrument Company Surgical Technology Program Clinical Student of the Year
This award recognizes exceptional clinical abilities and didactic skills in the area of surgical technology. The student must demonstrate consistent exceptional aseptic technique and didactic and problem-solving skills, with a consistent awareness of patient safety and universal precautions.
- Award of Merit
This award of recognition is for students who by their actions are recognized as outstanding. Recipients must be either full-time students or part-time students at least halfway through their programs with a minimum 2.5 GPA. Students are selected in one of the following three categories:
- Demonstrated Excellence in Performance. This student has competed in state or national contests as a representative of Gwinnett Tech and has proven outstanding as an ambassador for our school, or this student has performed in a role which has reached out into the community, state, or nation and has promoted the good name of Gwinnett Tech. This role cannot be part of a required internship or clinical experience.
- Demonstrated Improvement as a Student. This student has progressed within their program at a rate that deserves recognition. The student who receives this award has given extra time and/or effort to achieve exceptional growth in their program.
- Demonstrated Excellence in Spite of Undue Hardship. This student has demonstrated academic or performance excellence despite financial, family, or time demands. The student who receives this award has made special efforts to succeed while addressing personal hardships.
- Best Portfolio Award
This annual award recognizes the commercial photography graduate who earns the highest total score on the evaluation of his/her portfolio. The portfolio must contain images in finished presentation form in each of the following areas: black and white/color techniques, commercial applications, portrait/wedding, advertising, and a specialized study with images that support a serious involvement in a specific job area. The Best Portfolio Award is presented at Gwinnett Tech's formal graduation ceremony.
- Dean's List
At the end of each semester, students who have achieved a grade point average of 3.69 or higher while carrying a minimum of 12 credit hours will be placed on the dean's list.
- Distinguished Student Award
To be eligible for this award, students must first have been selected as outstanding program students. Their credentials are then judged by a screening committee on the following criteria:
- Academic achievement.
- Instructor rating in the areas of leadership ability, quality of work, attendance, dependability, and cooperation.
- Representation of Gwinnett Tech (participation in school-related activities such as student advisory committees and student organizations; holding office in a student organization – local or state; or participation in student competitions – local, state and/or national).
The three top candidates are then interviewed by the selection committee and judged on their expressed personal goals, value of training, ability to communicate, enthusiasm, and confidence.
- Georgia Occupational Award of Leadership (GOAL)
This annual award is presented to the student selected most outstanding from a group of nominees submitted by instructors. Selection is based on grades, instructor rating of personal traits, and an interview before a screening committee. Gwinnett Tech's GOAL winner then competes with other postsecondary technical college winners for this coveted state award.
- Honor Graduate
Students who achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.69 or higher will be designated as honor graduates. Honor recognition will be in the graduation program, and students may wear special stoles available for purchase in the bookstore. Spring semester graduate GPAs are calculated as of winter semester for honor designations.
- Rad Tech Award of Excellence
This award recognizes exceptional performance by a radiologic technology student for the entire two-year period of enrollment. The award is given to the graduating student who has maintained academic excellence, outstanding clinical performance, and a professional rapport as defined by fellow radiologic technologists.
- Outstanding Student for a Program
The recipients of this award must be program students who have completed a minimum of two semesters as full-time students or 50 percent of their programs as part-time students. These students must also have a minimum 3.0 GPA, demonstrated leadership ability and excellence in performance of their chosen career, and experience with representing Gwinnett Tech in a positive manner and promoting good public relations.
Student Organization Leadership Award is given to club officers that exemplify leadership qualities within their student organization. This person motivates, encourages, provides vision for the group, and leads by example. This award recognizes their hard work and pays tribute to their achievements on campus and in the community. The recipients must be current club officers in good academic standing.